Skip to main content

Your High-Risk Event

Registered Student Organizations are independent associations and therefore are not covered by the University of California’s own insurance programs. This can be a problem because student events can lead to property damage and bodily injuries. Whenever you are planning an event on or off campus you need to ensure that your RSO is taking the necessary precautions to protect your members and guests.

Risk Management FAQs

When and how do we need to apply for insurance?

The University of California requires that all groups have insurance for events on campus. The campus has purchased a commercial insurance policy from Mercer Insurance to cover virtually all on campus events hosted by Registered Student Organizations. In order to be eligible for coverage, an organization must:

  1. Be a Registered Student Organization with Organization Advising & Student Involvement Services (OASIS)
  2. Obtain permission from the venue where you are hosting your event to be there

Organizations holding low-risk events do not have to do anything; they are automatically covered. If your organization is possibly high risk, you may have to obtain an additional Certificate of Insurance (usually free for on campus events).

Low Risk Events Include:

  • Meetings
  • Lectures
  • Receptions
  • Seminars
  • Teleconferences
High Risk Events Include (but are not limited to) those with:
  • Minors under the age of 18 (including high-school aged students)
  • Animals
  • Sports or other athletic activities
  • Performances of any kind
  • Moving vehicles
  • Tools, weapons, or heavy equipment
  • Fire (including cooking
  • High attendance in an outdoor venue
  • Film/video shoots
To view a complete list and/or to apply for an additional certificate of insurance, visit the Campus Connexions Insurance.
How do we have an event with minors?
If you organization holds events with minors under the age of 18, take the following precautions to protect the minors and yourselves using P.A.C.T
P: Preparation
  • Familiarize yourself with the campus’ Best Practices for Activities Involving Minors
  • Reserve a facility early and let them know that minors will be attending; they may require additional information
  • Inform parents/legal guardians that this is an RSO event, not a university event
  • Provide parents/legal guardians with the relevant information, forms, and waivers in a timely manner. These may include:
    • Authorization to Consent to Treatment of a Minor
    • Waiver of Liability
    • Media Release Form
  • Prepare and train your members/volunteers
A: Accountability
  • Who is responsible for the minor at your event? Who will be in attendance?
    • Parent, guardian, teacher, counselor, or you?
  • How will the minor get to your event? Who is responsible for them during travel?
  • Who is accountable for property?
C: Communication
  • Communicate with parents, guardians, members and volunteers before and during the event
  • Keep emergency contact information handy
T: Rule of Three:
  • Never have an adult be one-on-one with a minor. You need:
    • two adults and one minor
    • one adult and two minors
When do we need waivers and where can we get the forms?
Waivers (also known as releases) are written agreements that say the sponsor of an activity will not be liable for harm suffered by participants. Although waivers are primarily legal tools, they also serve an educational purpose by making people think about the potential risks of an activity. Waivers should be used at events that include any of the following:
  • Physical activity (hiking, dancing, performing, etc)
  • Travel to an off-campus site
  • Minors