Skip to main content

RSOs who do not receive funding and/or sponsorship from the ASUC or GA are allowed to have outside bank accounts. Please contact your Organization Advising & Student Involvement Services (OASIS) Advisor to learn about the available option for an off-campus bank account through Bank of the West as they can provide registered student organizations financial services and account management options including a bank account.

If your RSO is sponsored by and/or receives funding from the ASUC or GA, then CalLink, the online organizational management system, is also your group’s banking system. ASUC sponsored/funded and GA funded student organizations are prohibited from having outside bank accounts. Check out the CalLink Finance Training for an overview of CalLink and Purchase Request logistics. Only trained ASUC and GA agents have access to an organization’s finance section.

How do I become an agent for my organization?

Organizations who receive sponsorship and/or funding from the ASUC and the GA must have at least one certified Agent on their roster (preferably two). This person has the ability to approve purchase requests and access other ASUC/GA Resources. To become an Agent, members need to complete the online CalLink Finance Agent Training bCourse.  Review the CalLink Finance Training prior to taking the CalLink Finance Agent Training bCourse.

Finance Process Questions

These Finance Process Questions can be found in the CalLink Finance Training.
—Is there an overview about student organization finances?
—What are the different CalLink accounts for? Your org may have two or more accounts in your CalLink finance tab.
—What is a purchase request?
—How do I fill out and submit a purchase request?
—What does it mean that a purchase request request is in Stage X?
—How do I make a deposit?
—What is a Non-profit Tax ID and how do I request one?

How do I sign a contract for goods or services?

RSOs may not enter into or sign contracts without coordinating with their advisor. This is because contracts may include language that RSOs cannot comply with, and whoever signs the contract may be held liable for compliance. An advisor can help you negotiate appropriate terms. If your organization is ASUC sponsored, the ASUC will sign the contract on your behalf once it has been reviewed.

How do I handle my cash?

All cash collected should be deposited into your CalLink account within 24 business hours. Cash boxes can be checked out from OASIS. If you anticipate collecting more than $250 in cash in a day, please contact your advisor if you cannot make regular Student Union Finance office hours at OASIS to deposit it. If you anticipate raising more than $500 in cash in a day, you must contact Event Services as this needs to be registered with UCPD. View the Cash Handling Guidelines for more information.

ASUC Sponsorship FAQs

What is ASUC Sponsorship?

Once registered with the university, RSOs have the ability to apply for additional funds, spaces and to receive benefits of sponsorship through the ASUC. This opportunity is available to both undergraduate and graduate Registered Student Organizations. Benefits include:

  • Eligibility to apply for ASUC Funding
  • Eligibility to apply for special ASUC Grants and Scholarships
  • Eligibility to apply for office and/or storage space
  • Eligibility to request use of the ASUC’s Non-profit Tax ID Number
  • Use of Finances in CalLink

If your RSO is not yet ASUC sponsored, fill out the appropriate ASUC Sponsorship Application on the ASUC Senate Callink page.  ⚠️: submissions are only accepted during the Fall and Spring semesters. 

The RSO request for sponsorship will be reviewed by the ASUC Finance Committee (FiComm) who will determine if sponsorship will be recommended to be approved. Recommendations are ultimately approved by the ASUC Senate every week.

Approved ASUC sponsorship status is active immediately after Senate approval.

What can I spend ASUC Funds on?

Please read and review the ASUC Spending Restrictions.

What is a waiver and how do I apply for one?

The ASUC Senate Finance Committee (FiComm) and ASUC Senate have the authority to grant a waiver allowing ASUC Program funds to be used for some normally restricted items, such as food. FiComm may take into account how the request fits into the group’s mission, how well students are being served, and whether the group has sought alternative sources of funding. These requests must also be in line with ASUC bylaws which regulate the amounts that can be requested for such items as food. 

During the regular academic year (August-April), you can apply for a waiver on the ASUC Senate’s CalLink page.

A note on food waivers: ASUC by-laws limit the percentage of a group’s ASUC funds that can be waived:

  • No more than 30% of current ASUC funding shall be waived to purchase food and beverages for any ASUC sponsored organization.”

GA Allocated Funds FAQs

What can I spend GA Allocated Funds On?

General GA Funds Restrictions:

  1. All projects, events, and meetings should be held on campus or within a 2-mile radius of campus when possible. If a project, meeting or event must take place outside of this area, the applicant must justify the need for an off-campus location.
  2. Advertising and Accessibility: If awarded GA funding, you are required to submit your event to the Student Events Calendar and print a copy of the posting in order to receive reimbursement.
  3. All advertising materials for a GA funded event must indicate that the event is sponsored by the UCB Graduate Assembly.
  4. Any GA funded event must be open to all UCB graduate students and should free of a mandatory charge.  If an entrance or participation fee must be charged, you must justify this fee in the funding application
  5. The following text should be included on advertising material: Event is ADA accessible. For disability accommodation requests and information, please contact Disability Access Services by phone at 510.643.6456 (voice) or 510.642.6376 (TTY) or by email at
  6. Honoraria payments are limited to $250 per person, per event
  7. Food/beverages spending amounts are limited to $8/grad student and $1/other attendee; no bottled water is ever covered
  8. Equipment may only be purchased if it’s not available for checkout somewhere on campus, and is limited to a $250 limit